Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Love of Languages

Like many students who enter James Madison College, a love of learning languages and cultures was a motivating factor in the direction of my higher education. While I have always intended to major in International Relations and Comparative Cultures and Politics, I knew that I wanted to continue learning the foreign language that I had developed a love for: Spanish. Upon arriving at the university, I completed my Madison language requirement using Spanish and continued to take Spanish classes for my first two years at MSU.

However, I made a drastic decision and picked up a new language for the Fall of my 2nd year: Portuguese. As a language that is rarely (if ever) taught at the primary and secondary education levels in most American school districts, Portuguese may appear as a random decision for many. However, for others it makes complete sense. Brazil is a rising nation in every aspect of today’s world, which will be very visible in the upcoming FIFA World Cup and Summer Olympic Games that the South American nation will host. In addition to this growing importance, the similarity yet difference that the language had to Spanish was enticing, as was the fact that it is a rarely studied language in American society, which I hope will set me apart when I begin applying for jobs after graduation.

Like many other languages at MSU, Portuguese is fortunate in that it has a smaller more intimate department at the University, meaning a strong community is formed and a support network is personalized. This fact, in addition to my love for learning the language, encouraged me to adopt Portuguese as a minor despite the fact that I had already studied a different language for a full year.

This decision, however, will not force me to stay over four years in undergraduate education and in fact opened an entirely new opportunity to me: studying abroad in Brazil. While the program that James Madison College offers in Brazil is conducted in English, the fact that I was learning Portuguese and would have a year under my belt during the program encouraged me to apply and really enjoy my time spent abroad. I had the valuable experience of both attending a Madison study abroad program while emerging myself in a culture that I hope to one day become a part of. This had many benefits, including background and contextual education that allows me to both use my Madison class in my language courses as well as the other way around.

My decision to adopt Portuguese as a minor is a decision that I continue to be pride of and I hope will pay off in the future. While every student is different and has unique ambitions, I would encourage any student who wishes to further round out their education to pursue a language they enjoy beyond what is required of them.


Danny B.
Junior, Comparative Cultures & Politics and International Relations

No comments:

Post a Comment