Monday, December 2, 2013

Easing the Transition: Freshman Seminars Abroad


                In the August before I started my freshman year at Michigan State University, I decided to apply to go on a Freshman Study Abroad to Salvador, Brazil. I wanted to the chance to meet professors, especially because the two professors going on the trip taught for James Madison College, where I would be attending. I also thought it'd be helpful to get to know other new students who shared similar interests, like traveling, as me. The application process for the FSA wasn't very difficult, but I had developed convincing arguments about the benefits of study abroad to persuade my parents into supporting my trip. I was accepted into the program, and convinced my parents studying abroad would be largely advantageous for me. I quickly grasped that my dream of traveling outside the country (further than Canada, that is) would soon become a reality. I was very nervous in the weeks leading up to my departure; I didn't know anyone else who I would be traveling and spending two weeks with. However, I realized that this mirrored what my transition to MSU would be like.

                My time in Brazil was filled with the befriending of my fellow students, many who were also entering James Madison, exploring the city and culture of Salvador, and building up a relationship with my professor. The schoolwork was not overwhelming, but it gave me a fair idea of the level of writing that was expected of students in James Madison. It definitely helped to prepare me for the work in college.  I loved the opportunity to meet and talk with students who were in the same place in their lives as I was. We were able to discuss what we were excited about for MSU and our fears about roommates and classes. This helped to dilute my own worries about the future, since I knew that other people were also nervous. When I returned back home, and had to wait two weeks before entering college, I could hardly wait. Traveling independently abroad gave me a taste for freedom that made me even more eager to come to MSU. Now being a freshman at MSU, I realize more than ever how beneficial my study abroad to Brazil truly was. It gave me the confidence to explore an entirely new place on my own, which smoothed my transition into college and also made me more open to trying new experiences.

Ellery
Freshman 

No comments:

Post a Comment