Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A Balancing Act


One of the most difficult things for a college student is finding a proper balance between studying for class and having fun. Do not get me wrong--classes are important, but if a student does not put aside enough time to relax the stress can catch up with them and can make the college experience a nightmare. At Michigan State University, there are several opportunities for students to discover organizations. The groups vary to encompass just about everyone’s interests. These organizations are great ways to build a network of friends, especially for someone like myself, an out of state student with not a single friend or family member that resides in the state of Michigan.

When I am not busy studying, I choose to spend my free time on the Quidditch pitch. Yes, it is a variation of the fictional sport from Harry Potter, but it is pure fun! I have always been a huge Harry Potter fan, and ever since I heard about Quidditch I wanted to try it, so when I arrived on campus my freshman year I found the club’s table and signed up. The club has two entities: a travel team and a smaller intramural league that is separate from the university’s intramural league. The travel team goes throughout the Midwest to compete in tournaments against other university teams.

Fortunately, I have been able to make the travel team all three years that I have been here and have become great friends with my teammates. The amount of fun I have travelling with these people is great, I look forward to it every weekend we have a tournament. Over the years, my role within the club has grown, and I am now part of the coaching staff. My duties on the coaching staff entail introducing the sport to new recruits, while also aiding the team to perform well at tournaments through the regulation of substitutes and ensuring everyone has their gear. Since coming to college this is by far my favorite thing to do. I enjoy it so much that during the breaks of winter and summer I go through minor withdrawals. Being a part of a club like this helps me relieve stress caused by my classes, while also allowing me to relax with friends and enjoy my Michigan State University experience.

Brandon

Junior
CCP

No comments:

Post a Comment